About the Education Department and Contact Information
View the Iditarod Education Department Video
Mission Statement of the Iditarod Education Department:
Promote the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race® by providing educational opportunities for classrooms around the world.
We strive to help teachers be better teachers and students to achieve academic success using Iditarod based curriculum.
Steps We Take:
- Create an awareness that Iditarod is an educational tool
- Inspire teachers to use the race in their classrooms
- Serve as a resource to provide on our website standards aligned classroom lessons, curriculum connection, activities, and projects for use in preschool, elementary school, and secondary school teachers and homeschool families
- Focus on STEM and standards aligned content instruction on all content areas
- Partner with highly qualified instructional educators who are using this unique Iditarod based approach to instruction
- Develop educational collaboration teams to focus on quality teaching and learning
- Train educators at conferences and provide information on our website to facilitate an enriched educational classroom environment
- Collect data from educators on success of program involvement
Results We Strive For:
- Teachers who are highly effective instructors and use Iditarod in the classroom
- Students who think scientifically, solve problems, read more, write more, use technology as a tool, and are successful in school
- Students who are apt to graduate from high school more prepared to further their education and enter the fields of science, math, engineering, and technology; students who are true world problem solvers and resourceful citizens, life long learners AND develop an interest in the race.
Contact the Iditarod Education Department by sending an email to Diane Johnson, Iditarod Education Director.
- Diane Johnson, Director of Iditarod Education
- 1412 S. Melgaard Road
- Aberdeen, SD 57401