We are happy to provide you with contact information of mushers agreeing to receive letters from students. If you are writing to mushers, please follow the instructions below.
Send an email to Jane Holmes, Director of Education at email@example.com to receive by email the postal contact information for mushers who agree to receive letters from students.
- We only send contact information to educators who are needing the contact information for educational purposes. We do not release email information for mushers. We do not release any contact information directly to students.
- We are grateful to those mushers who do respond to student mail. However, please remember that mushers are very busy people and some letters of response may not arrive until May, June, or even over the summer months.
- Not all mushers will respond. We do not guarantee response or a time frame for those who do respond.
- Following our guidelines may lead to greater success with your educational project. Thanks for your patience!
1. Please read this information and suggestions before writing to mushers.
* Please Note: Each year’s musher contact list is updated in mid-December because mushers can sign up for the race until the end of the November; we don’t know who all of our mushers will be until that time. We will send out the ‘new’ contact list in mid December. Please use an updated list EACH YEAR to make sure you are writing to the correct list of mushers and that you are writing to mushers who agree to get letters from students.
2. Send an email request for the contact list. firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Once the education department has received your request, you will receive the musher contact information after the musher registration deadline of December 1.
4. Students should choose the mushers they’d like to write to and create well written letters that ask good questions and wish mushers success. When students view information on a musher’s website, students are able to come up with questions that aren’t answered on the website, making responses from mushers who do write back much more interesting for your students.
5. Place the letter(s) to each musher in a separate envelope. Along with your letter(s), be sure to include a self-addressed-stamped-envelope if you would like to receive a reply.
6. Once your letter(s) and the SASE are inside of your envelope, address the correspondence to the musher using the address list that was sent to you.
7. Remember to put correct postage on the return envelope. REMEMBER if the musher is from CANADA you cannot use United States postage on the return envelopes. Mushers must return mail using CANADIAN POSTAGE. You can purchase International Reply Coupons to include in the musher’s letter so a musher from Canada or other countries outside of the United States can exchange the coupon for correct postage. Contact your post office for assistance.
THIS IS IMPORTANT:
8. Send the envelopes directly to the musher. Don’t send the letters to Iditarod Headquarters. Mushers do not get their mail at Headquarters and there is not a budget allowance for postage to purchase envelopes or mail letters for you.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Thanks for your cooperation!