Location: 64.7322, -156.9352Click here to view map
Population 527 -- Galena derived its name from lead sulfate ore found in the area, known chemically as galena. The town was founded in 1920 when Natives moved down river from the old town site of Louden because of the availability of firewood. A man could cut 250 cords a winter and sell it for $8.00 a cord to the stern wheelers that worked the rivers in the summer. The checkpoint is at the “old” community hall downtown.