The Iditarod takes place because thousands of volunteers play major roles in every aspect of the race and the events that surround it.
Your students can join the team as official “Classroom Volunteers”!
Enter the annual musher banquet table centerpiece contest! Selected classrooms will create and send the decorations that will be featured on the tables at the Musher Drawing Banquet.
Provide your students with an opportunity to be involved in a service learning project. You can’t always be somewhere ‘physically’, but what you can do is help to create an environment for this exciting event. Be with us through your students’ art and creative endeavors.
Remember, keep your design SIMPLE for inexpensive mailing and ease of set up at the banquet. Easy, ready to go, freestanding designs will be selected. Designs that are complicated or will require multiple steps in setting up on the tables, or extra volunteer time to help set up, won’t meet the criteria for this contest.
Centerpieces should not exceed 8″ high by 10 ” wide and should be free standing. They should be ONE piece and should not require additional set up or building from banquet volunteers.
- Develop a concept and create an example in the form of a sketch, written explanation, model or digital image of your classroom’s idea.
- Keep in mind shipping, ease of set up, size and theme.
- Email an example of your planned design and the information listed below to Jane Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Educator Contact(s) name
Grade level(s) participating
Number of centerpieces your students are able to make
- Winning classrooms will be asked to create at least 20 table decorations. However, a smaller or larger number will work, too.
- Winning classrooms will be responsible for providing all materials, packing and shipping costs.
Winning classrooms will enjoy the thrill of being a part of the Last Great Race on Earth® along with recognition at the musher banquet by having their creations on the tables.
November 12, 2021 – idea and entry form email due
December 1, 2021 – winning classrooms will be notified
February 20, 2022 – table decorations due in Alaska
Take a look at some of our past winners!
2014 Table Tops
Click on thumbnail images to view a larger image.
All photos in this gallery are by Iditarod Trail Committee. Reproduction prohibited without written permission from the photographer.